The programme pursues the following operational objectives:
- increased mobility, particularly in terms of quality and quantity;
- promotion of more and better partnerships between schools and Member States, so that at least three million pupils during the period of the programme are involved in joint educational activities;
- encourage learning of foreign languages;
- development of innovative ICT-based content, services, pedagogies and practices;
- enhance the quality and European dimension of teacher training;
- promotion of better teaching methods and more efficient school management.
Comenius may support the following activities:
- mobility, courses, job shadowing or conferences for teachers, et cetera;
- partnerships, such as the 'Comenius partnerships' between schools aimed at joint learning projects, or the ‘Comenius Regio partnerships’ between organisations for school education with a view to fostering inter-regional cooperation;
- to develop multilateral projects or disseminate innovative strategies, materials, methods, et cetera. They have, for example, the aim to improve the training of teachers and other educational personnel, both through the regular attainment as well as through training;
- Multilateral Networks are aimed at developing and disseminating experience, information and expertise in a particular field of education. Networks in particular should check whether an area in your network is already active or not. The priorities for the call-year of the relevant call for proposals are leading;
- flanking measures.
The Comenius budget for 2007-2013 amounts to € 1.047 billion. At least 80% of the Comenius budget is spent on activities in the area of mobility and partnerships.
Website: Comenius: Europe in the classroom